Do I always have to tell an employer about my convictions?

This is really important: You only tell if asked. For example, on an application form or during the interview.

For most jobs you only have to declare unspent convictions. Look at our list of personal situations to decide what you need to do.

If you are applying for a job which involves any of the following, you will have to undertake a DBS check (this used to be called a CRB check):

  • working with vulnerable adults or children
  • working in an environment where there are vulnerable adults or children
  • working in a government based environment where they screen applicants

You will know you are going to be subject to this check because you will be asked to sign a declaration at the application stage. If you are successful at the interview you will have to complete a DBS form and provide a range of identification.

The employer can’t fill out this form without your consent.

What’s next?

Find what personal situation applies to you

This page was last updated on February 14th, 2014

Print Friendly