Can I find out what information is held on me?

You can.

You can apply for a copy of your police records for your own information through what is called a Subject Access Request through the Public Access or Data Protection Office of your local police force headquarters. You can usually download the forms from your local police force’s website.

The Association of Chief Police Officers’ (ACPO) Criminal Record Office (ACRO) provide a Subject Access Request service for the majority of police forces.

What’s next?

Are there jobs which I can’t do because I have a criminal record?

Find out more on the ACRO site

This page was last updated on February 14th, 2014

Print Friendly